Orthodontic treatment is not just for kids anymore. In fact, according to the American Association of Orthodontics (AAO), there are a record number of adult orthodontic patients today, and thanks to advances in technology, you can enjoy braces at any age.
Adults with braces can correct a bite, improve their comfort in chewing and talking, achieve a beautiful smile and improve their health. About 27 percent of Americans wearing braces today are adults. Braces are more popular with every age group than ever before, and that’s thanks to the number of orthodontic treatment options available.
Benefits of Adult Orthodontics
Many adults think there is no point to get braces later in life, but that couldn’t be further from the truth. Braces have a variety of benefits for adults and can prevent dental problems or the need for excessive dental work later on.
Dr. Kim says the treatment goal for adults is to achieve ideal function of their teeth and jaw joint. During the initial consultation, Dr. Kim wants to learn from each patient their vision and goals in obtaining healthier and beautiful smile. With the final vision in mind, she will share options available, allowing patient to an active participant of the treatment planning. Because beauty is subjective, patient’s desires and needs have high values in delivering successful treatment outcome.
Dr. Kim believes ideal function and stable jaw is the foundation and success of adult orthodontic treatment. It is important to address the underlying issues of the oral system if present prior to starting the orthodontic treatment. Strong foundation can support any aesthetic demand and enhance the final result.
Here are some of the biggest benefits of adult orthodontics:
- A healthier mouth: Crooked teeth and misaligned teeth make it harder to thoroughly clean your teeth. Hard-to-reach areas can accumulate biofilm. Well aligned teeth can allow easier access for cleaning and in addition, support healthier bone and gum architecture.
- Less pain: If your jaw or teeth pain is caused by bad bite, orthodontic treatment can help. By changing the position of your teeth, braces make it easier to eat, talk and even smile.
- Quick treatment: In the past, people usually had to wear braces for years and years. Today, treatment time can be reduced with advanced techniques and new innovations in the field of orthodontics.
- Shifting teeth: Sometimes teeth can shift due to uneven bite or too much pressure on the tooth. Orthodontics can help move the teeth so the pressure is redistributed evenly around your teeth. A good bite should have even contacts and pressures points.
- Low cost: Braces are an incredible investment. Best of all you’ll be able to enjoy their benefits for the rest of your life.
Another great reason to get adult orthodontics is the number of options available today.
Orthodontic Options for Adults
There are a wide variety of orthodontic options for adults today. Whether you’re concerned about appearance, comfort or maintenance, there are braces for you. Here are the most popular options:
- Self-ligating brackets: This design has a unique clip or movable door to hold wires in place. No need for colored bands around each bracket to hold the wire. Your teeth can stay cleaner and you can spend less time in your orthodontist’s chair.
- Invisalign clear aligners: The only person who knows someone is wearing Invisalign braces is the person wearing them! These are practically invisible, but just as effective as regular braces.
- Metal braces: Traditional metal braces are much thinner and comfortable than in the past. See for yourself.
- Clear bracket braces: Brackets are made with porcelain to mimic the color of your teeth. This is a great way to meet your cosmetic needs without added cost.
- Speed Orthodontics ( Piezocision Orthodontics):Surgically assisted orthodontics to improve bone volume or healthier, safer, and faster way to move teeth.
- TAD (Temporary Anchorage Device): Utilization of mini-implant system to increase the range of dental correction such as, reduction of gummy smile, closing remaining spaces for missing teeth, and intruding or extruding teeth.
Dr. Kim also offers patients who quality the option of periodontally accelerated osteogenic orthodontics (PAOO). This option cuts treatment times by HALF OR MORE. It combines in-office periodontal surgery and orthodontic therapy. The key component of the added surgical procedure in increased cellular changes in the bone which allows teeth to move greater distance safer and faster. This technique by Dr. Kim can decrease the dental need for extractions, increase bone support for teeth and improve smile. It can also facilitate eruption of an impacted tooth or accelerate tooth movement.
Dr. Kim, your Omaha orthodontist, has restored smiles through braces for many adults. Come see the results for yourself. It’s never too late to get a best version of your smile. If you’d like to know more about adult orthodontics, schedule a consultation with us today at 402-614-7022.